Saturday, May 20, 2006

What a Difference a Lens Makes!


These are a few snapshots from an event I was at last night. Nothing special, but while there, several people commented on my camera. When I said I was a professional photographer, I heard, do you know so-and-so, his prices are unreal! A lot of people, in this digital age, think it's simple to just go out and shoot the same photos they see the pros do. It's easy, right? Just push the button! Take lots of shots! It doesn't cost anything! They don't realize the time, money and training that goes behind getting the images the pros get.

Take this lens for instance, it was pretty pricey, attached to a not so cheap camera body. However, look at the wonderfully blurry depth of field on these photos. This has to do not only with the camera body, and the lens, but also choosing the right shutter speed, ISO and aperature for the conditions.

Now, these were just snapshots, had this been a real photo shoot, I would have worked on custom white balance; used my light meter; as well as choosen and posed the individuals for the optimum lighting conditions to be most flattering to the subject. After the shoot, I would go into my computer program to further tweak and enhance the photos. Then the photos are sent to a pro lab with top quality paper, whose high end machines are color calibrated to my computer. All of this took training, time and equipment. Not quite as easy as pressing a button, huh? Thought I might give a little insight to what goes behind the scences of the beautiful finished portraits you receive, not only from me, but any professional photographer.

No comments: