Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Youngest Heros


Just wanted to take today to recognize some young heros. The children at Children's Hospital. My heart goes out to all of them. Such bravery, in the case of sometimes grave danger, is something I hope many of us never have to face.
Ryan needed an MRI on Friday. Although not dangerous in his case, he did have to be brave. A little of our conversation........
Him: Mom, am I going to need a shot?
Me: Not today honey.
Him: Will they put me to sleep? I hate that.
Me: We're going to try it today when you're awake, but you have to be very still. It will be like you are going on a rocket ship. They will strap you down and you get to go in a big tube, just like a real astronaut. What do you think?
Him: I guess that's okay. As long as there are no needles and I don't have to go to sleep.
Then later as we are getting ready.......
Him: Mom, I'm kind of scared.
Me: It'll be okay. Just think of it as an adventure. Remember how much you loved the rocket ride at DisneyWorld?
And again, later with tears in his eyes, as they did have to give him the shot I didn't know he needed....
Him: You said no shots.
Me: I'm so sorry honey, I didn't know.
MRI Tech: It's a very small needle.....
So, to all the kids who have to endure more than they should. You are all my heros. My heart and my love go out to all of you, but especially to Ryan. I love you.
Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments: