Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A House Story - Or, 20 plus years of my life in houses!




Well, it's been a while since I've done something other than a photography business post. As I was taking pictures of my studio as it is now, and the Carriage House where I want to move it, I got to thinking of all the past houses my husband and I have owned. Of all the interior decorating and renovating we've done on those houses. And, of all the hard work and luck that got us to where we are today.


So, if this story doesn't interest you, just skip on over to another blog. There will be a new photography post in a few days. However, if it does, keep reading..........and please forgive the 20 year old scanned pictures!


Above is our first house. After three years of apartment living, we worked and saved enough to get a 1600 square foot house in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Gotta love the skinny me with the 80's hair! Plus, our first "baby", our golden Magen.


It was tiny, but it was new, and it was ours. Don't you love the two "required" trees in the front yard? "Required" by the FHA loan we were getting. In this house, we learned how to paint, how to wallpaper. I sewed curtains, Jeff spent a lot of time at the local garden/hardware store learning how to put in sprinklers systems and landscaping.


We owned a water bed. Jeff's first purchase when he started working at 15, and something we owned for another 10 years, through three pregnancies.... A sofa, a wedding present from my folks..... A television, bought with wedding present money....And, a 80's glass topped table. Our first married purchase, that is still in our basement today! Oh yeah, and ONE lamp, also a wedding present, to light the entire house!


We didn't go out to eat. We didn't take vacations (except to drive home to Denver to see family). We didn't spend much, except on the house. We did shop sales. We did visit thrift stores and refinish furniture. We did do EVERYTHING ourselves. And, we did watch too much This Old House (we didn't have cable and it was pre HGTV days anyway). So much This Old House, that four years and a baby later (welcome Steph), we moved. Moved into the biggest mess of a house you have ever seen! But.......I'll save that for the next post.

1 comment:

Molly's Mom said...

Ooooh! I remember that house. I loved that house. It has good memories for me, too. I got to share lots of sisterly time with you, welcome my neice and nephew to the world and complete a semester of college at that house. I couldn't believe it when you sold it to buy that dump, uh, I mean fixer upper. I can't wait for the next stop down memory lane.