Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankfulness….Good for Your Health!

Ziska-1Ziska-2Ziska-Family-3Ziska-3Ziska-4Ziska-Family-6Ziska-Family-7Ziska-Family-8
Wow! Do you know the health benefits of thankfulness? People who are thankful are 25% happier; sleep 1/2 hour more per evening; exercise 33% more per week; reduce their blood pressure up to 10%; decrease dietary fat intake by 20%; and can live up to seven years longer with frequent positive emotions. No wonder I like Thanksgiving so much……well…there’s that, then the food too!

These statistics came from a recent Denver Post article I was shown that touted not only the benefits of being thankful, but the benefits of  the very foundations of Thanksgiving. The fact that gathering round tables and the social connections we make while there are a fundamental human need.  It went on to say that gratitude can help counter destructive emotions like greed, envy, and resentment because grateful people put less value on material things.

So, why do I have photos of this family on a Thanksgiving post? Because this is not just any family. This is my sister and her family. I recently got to visit them and take their family photos. I am so grateful for my wonderful sister. Although younger than I, she always seems to take care of me. She’s the person I call to laugh with and to cry with.  The person who has known me since I was two and understands me through and through. She not only accepts me for who I am unconditionally, but always makes me feel like I’m the most amazing person ever. She’s giving, caring, talented, and beautiful. Inside and out. I admire her strength, discipline, and heart. And, I love her so very much. I am truly blessed to have her in my life.  I for one am thankful  for cell phones with unlimited calling plans. Even though we are many miles apart, we can talk like she’s only a few blocks away.

 So, with that I wish her and you a Happy Thanksgiving. Be sure to remember, not only tomorrow, but every day what you are truly Thankful for. Your health will thank you back. 

1 comment:

Molly's Mom said...

NO, it is me who is thankful that you are MY sister. I wouldn't want anyone else in the world but you! You are the person that I always looked up to (even when I grew taller than you) and wanted to be like. I still strive to be even half as kind, caring, loving and fun as you.

I love the pictures that you took and was so glad that you were able to come out and visit me in my new home/town. Only wished you lived next door.

One final note on this Thanksgiving...I and eternally thankful for photoshop and for a sister who knows exactly how many wrinkles to remove from my face!